Definition of marlin in English:
A large edible billfish of warm seas that is a highly prized game fish and typically reaches a great weight.
- Genera Makaira and Tetrapterus, family Istiophoridae: several species, including the striped marlin (T. audax)
- The blue marlin and its cousins, the white marlin, swordfish and sailfish, bring up the rear.
- Although the crew reckoned it was a poor day, we still caught two good sailfish, a white marlin and a barracuda.
- Billfish fall into four groups, treated under marlin, sailfish, spearfish, and swordfish.
Early 20th century: from marlinspike (with reference to its pointed snout).
Words that rhyme with marlinCarlin, call-in, marline, Stalin
Definition of marlin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan