Definition of marquee in English:
1North American A rooflike projection over the entrance to a theater, hotel, or other building.
- Along the sidewalks, giant signs and marquees hung from the buildings.
- Why do people still travel to New York to write musicals despite the comparatively few new author names on Broadway marquees?
- Two hours before the first show in York, the crowd was queuing beneath the theatre marquee that read ‘Bingo every night (except Thursday)’.
1.1 [as modifier] Leading; preeminent: a marquee player
[With allusion to the practice of billing the name of an entertainer on the marquee (i.e., awning) over the entrance to a theater]
More example sentences
- Why is it that marquee players from European countries are eager to represent their country while getting Canadian players is often an onerous chore?
- The rise of salary caps, luxury taxes and the like in professional sports has forced even comparatively wealthy franchises to lure marquee players with different kinds of incentives.
- But those marquee players deplete the budget even more.
2chiefly British A large tent used for social or commercial functions.
- Organisers are planning to have lots of stalls and attractions - and are desperate for donations of tents and marquees to provide shelter for these.
- In addition to the experienced teams involved in rapidly erecting and dismantling marquees and tents, the company is also now organising lighting facilities and generator capacity.
- The initial concept is that the event might be similar to the book festival, which fills Charlotte Square with marquees, with individual tents showcasing different aspects.
Words that rhyme with marqueeabsentee, açai, addressee, adoptee, agree, allottee, amputee, appellee, appointee, appraisee, après-ski, assignee, asylee, attendee, bailee, bain-marie, Bangui, bargee, bawbee, be, Bea, bee, bootee, bouquet garni, bourgeoisie, Brie, BSc, buckshee, Capri, cc, chimpanzee, cohabitee, conferee, consignee, consultee, Cree, debauchee, decree, dedicatee, Dee, degree, deportee, dernier cri, detainee, devisee, devotee, divorcee, draftee, dree, Dundee, dungaree, eau-de-vie, emcee, employee, endorsee, en famille, ennui, enrollee, escapee, esprit, evacuee, examinee, expellee, fee, fiddle-de-dee, flea, flee, fleur-de-lis, foresee, franchisee, free, fusee (US fuzee), Gardaí, garnishee, gee, ghee, glee, goatee, grandee, Grand Prix, grantee, Guarani, guarantee, he, HMRC, indictee, inductee, internee, interviewee, invitee, jamboree, Jaycee, jeu d'esprit, key, knee, Lea, lee, legatee, Leigh, lessee, Ley, licensee, loanee, lychee, manatee, Manichee, maquis, Marie, me, Midi, mortgagee, MSc, nominee, obligee, Otomi, parolee, Parsee, parti pris, patentee, Pawnee, payee, pea, pee, permittee, plc, plea, pledgee, pollee, presentee, promisee, quay, ratatouille, referee, refugee, releasee, repartee, retiree, returnee, rupee, scot-free, scree, sea, secondee, see, settee, Shanxi, Shawnee, shchi, she, shea, si, sirree, ski, spree, standee, suttee, tant pis, tea, tee, tee-hee, Tennessee, testee, the, thee, three, thuggee, Tiree, Torquay, trainee, Tralee, transferee, tree, Trincomalee, trustee, tutee, twee, Twi, undersea, vestee, vis-à-vis, wagon-lit, Waikiki, warrantee, we, wee, whee, whoopee, ye, yippee, Zuider Zee
Definition of marquee in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.