Of or appropriate to war; warlike: martial bravery
More example sentences
- The martial, or fighting arts are among humankind's oldest avocations.
- In the opening part there are fight scenes woven around him to introduce us to his martial skills.
- Some may be obscure to people who haven't read much about martial culture or military history.
late Middle English: from Old French, or from Latin martialis, from Mars, Mart- (see Mars).
- More example sentences
- ‘It hardly needs to be said that my husband is martially skilled,’ Adriana went on, ‘and I myself am skilled as well.’
- Leaving the Priests - their less martially inclined counterparts - to spread the inspiring words of the Goddess, the holy warriors preferred to let their actions speak for them, battling evil with their uniquely crafted weapons.
- You are arguably the most martially capable hand-to-hand fighter in this fleet besides myself.
Definition of martial in:
- The British & World English dictionary