Definition of martin in English:
A swift-flying, insectivorous songbird of the swallow family, typically having a less strongly forked tail than a swallow.
- Family Hirundinidae: several genera and numerous species, e.g., the purple martin
- In flight, European Starlings can be confused with Purple Martins, but the narrower wings, forked tails, and typical swallow flight of martins distinguish the two.
- The eaves and thatch of the houses would have supplied nesting sites for many birds such as wrens, swallows and martins, and also for bats in the older less well tended buildings.
- House martins breed over a vast area of the Palearctic region from the Atlantic towards the Pacific and as far north as arctic Scandinavia.
Late Middle English: probably a shortening of obsolete martinet, from French, probably from the name of St. Martin of Tours, celebrated at Martinmas.
Words that rhyme with martinmarten
Definition of martin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.