Definition of mason wasp in English:
A solitary wasp that nests in a cavity or in a hole in the ground, sealing the nest with mud or similar material.
- Several genera in the family Eumenidae
- The Purbeck mason wasp is a large, red, black-and-yellow mason wasp which provisions its nest with the caterpillars of a tortricid moth which feeds on heathers.
- Another solitary wasp, the mason wasp, chooses a flat surface and begins by building a series of arches out of mud or clay.
- The mason-wasp does not furnish the cell she has thus constructed with pollen and honey, like the solitary bees, but with living caterpillars.
Definition of mason wasp in:
- British & World English dictionary