Definition of mason wasp in English:
A solitary wasp that nests in a cavity or in a hole in the ground, sealing the nest with mud or similar material.
- Several genera in the family Eumenidae
- The Purbeck mason wasp is a large, red, black-and-yellow mason wasp which provisions its nest with the caterpillars of a tortricid moth which feeds on heathers.
- Another solitary wasp, the mason wasp, chooses a flat surface and begins by building a series of arches out of mud or clay.
- The mason-wasp does not furnish the cell she has thus constructed with pollen and honey, like the solitary bees, but with living caterpillars.
Definition of mason wasp in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan