- This was Ireland in dominant mode, masterful and confident in their control as they turned on the style.
- She's very masterful, very domineering and would look great in leather.
- Very few teachers can feel masterful in such a classroom setting.
- I loved the first one for its sophisticated camerawork, intricate plot and masterful performances.
- But it wasn't just the kids who loved his masterful two-hour solo performance.
- It's a masterful performance that is easily among his most bare and honest.
Some writers maintain a distinction between masterful and masterly, using masterful to mean ‘powerful and able to control others’ ( a masterful tone of voice) and masterly to mean ‘with the skill of a master’ ( a masterly performance). In practice, the two words overlap considerably in the second meaning: more than half the citations for masterful in the Oxford English Corpus relate to the sense ‘with the skill of a master’.
- Example sentences
- And as they move from their audacious overture through sombre ballads, Motown-inflected rock-outs and further Velvetesque anthems, the band's masterfulness becomes more and more apparent.
- And I think you can see the benefits of it in the quality, the masterfulness, of Linda.
- He was a more attractive character than any of the Norman kings - but he lacked their masterfulness.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.