Definition of mastodon in English:
A large, extinct, elephantlike mammal of the Miocene to Pleistocene epochs, having teeth of a relatively primitive form and number.
- Mammutidae and other families, order Proboscidea: many species, including the American mastodon (Mammut americanum), which possibly survived to historical times in North America
- All too often books written for a popular audience include animals such as mammoths, mastodons, plesiosaurs, ichthyosaurs, and the sail-backed Dimetrodon.
- Geologists say it probably once belonged to a woolly mammoth or a mastodon.
- In lower latitudes, mastodons and elephants, giant deer and ox, beavers, dogs and cats, and other familiar species existed in the forests and grasslands.
Words that rhyme with mastodonchiffon • Ctesiphon
Definition of mastodon in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan