Definition of mastodon in English:
A large, extinct, elephantlike mammal of the Miocene to Pleistocene epochs, having teeth of a relatively primitive form and number.
- Mammutidae and other families, order Proboscidea: many species, including the American mastodon (Mammut americanum), which possibly survived to historical times in North America
- All too often books written for a popular audience include animals such as mammoths, mastodons, plesiosaurs, ichthyosaurs, and the sail-backed Dimetrodon.
- Geologists say it probably once belonged to a woolly mammoth or a mastodon.
- In lower latitudes, mastodons and elephants, giant deer and ox, beavers, dogs and cats, and other familiar species existed in the forests and grasslands.
Words that rhyme with mastodonchiffon • Ctesiphon
Definition of mastodon in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.