Definition of materialism in English:
1A tendency to consider material possessions and physical comfort as more important than spiritual values.
- Perceptions now abound of the West being held in the grip of materialism and spiritual values being sidelined.
- This story teaches important lessons about materialism and valuing family relationships.
- It also promotes vanity and materialism as a value.
2 Philosophy The doctrine that nothing exists except matter and its movements and modifications.
- And, if we don't really know what matter is, then materialism is in trouble.
- The first is ontological materialism, which says that nothing exists except the material world.
- This materialism was of a mechanical kind - with matter interacting like parts in a giant clockwork mechanism.
2.1The doctrine that consciousness and will are wholly due to material agency. See also dialectical materialism.
- In respect to his materialism and determinism Collins was clearly influenced more by Hobbes and Bayle than he was by Locke.
- As Marx pointed out, idealism often was better than materialism at capturing agency.
- Hobbes' view shows progress for reconciling materialism, determinism and free will, but it is unsatisfactory.
Definition of materialism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.