noun (plural materialities)
1The quality or character of being material or composed of matter.
- First, the intangibility of speech better mirrors the materiality of ultimate reality (which is abstract, not concrete).
- Through encountering the materiality of the site the woman encounters her own materiality in a new way and with renewed intensity.
- Instead, subjectivity is constructed, coded and actively stretched across the materiality of networks.
1.1chiefly Law The quality of being relevant or significant: the applicant must establish materiality on the balance of probabilities
More example sentences
- Give them equal significance; each is of equal materiality and significance.
- Its materiality could only have the quality of materiality if it did more than record the bare fact that this was, in fact, a lease without the mortgagee's consent.
- The Tribunal must consider the materiality and substantiality of the employer's reason.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of materiality in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.