- Like or characteristic of a matron, especially in being dignified and staid and typically associated with having a large or plump build: she was beginning to look matronlyMore example sentences
- Nevertheless, her plain delivery stripped of vocal runs, trills and decorations can make her long baroque arias sound staid and matronly.
- I was beginning to feel rather matronly, and now I'm back to the weight I've always been.
- Many deemed it too figure-hugging and too young, emphasising what looked suspiciously like a matronly figure, but it demonstrated nonetheless that this was a woman not afraid to experiment with her look.
More definitions of matronlyDefinition of matronly in:
- The British & World English dictionary