(also metronymic /ˌme-/)
- A name derived from the name of a mother or female ancestor.More example sentences
- It is interesting that their usual surnames are all patronymics or matronymics, rather than the locatives that would be more likely were any of the four from immigrant families.
adjectiveBack to top
- Denoting or relating to a name derived from the name of a mother or female ancestor.More example sentences
- A few countries, such as Spain, follow a matronymic tradition.
late 18th century: from Latin mater, matr- 'mother', on the pattern of patronymic.
More definitions of matronymicDefinition of matronymic in:
- The British & World English dictionary