noun (plural maxis)
1 (also maxiskirt or maxicoat) A skirt , dress, or coat reaching to the ankle.
- Bonnie & Clyde made cynicism as hip as fedoras and maxi skirts.
- My mom would run across Palmer Square in the purple maxi coat she still speaks fondly of and buy coffee and cookies to share in the back pews.
- Unlike men, women can dress any number of ways: dresses, pantyhose, jumpsuits, maxis, minis, pantsuits, heels, stilettos, whatever.
2 (also maxi-yacht or maxi-boat) A racing yacht of between approximately 15 and 20 meters in length.
- They helped the maxi yacht show off her ‘high tech’ keel.
- Green striped maxis travel the north-south and central areas of Trinidad, POS to San Fernado, Couva and Claxton Bay.
- The leading maxis were logging average speeds of between 13 and 15 knots and were still on course to smash the current crossing record of 14 days and five hours.
1960s: abbreviation of maximum, on the pattern of mini.
Words that rhyme with maxiCotopaxi, taxi, waxy
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of maxi in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.