Definition of maxillary in English:
adjectiveAnatomy & Zoology
1Of or attached to a jaw or jawbone, especially the upper jaw: a maxillary fracture maxillary teeth
More example sentences
- Regarding the marked size decrease of maxillary to premaxillary teeth, it seems likely that relative size of the teeth is allometrically and ontogenetically controlled.
- The upper dentition, based on socket size, is slightly heterodont, with smaller premaxillary teeth and larger maxillary teeth.
- The teeth most often missing are the third molars, second premolars, and maxillary lateral incisors, and other teeth may be reduced in size.
1.1Of or relating to the maxillae of an arthropod.
- It is visible in the third antennal segment, but not the maxillary palps or larval chemosensory organs.
- These hybridization results show that the gene is expressed in two olfactory organs: the third antennal segment and the maxillary palp.
- Labial and maxillary palps are transformed to legs (arrows).
Early 17th century: from maxilla, probably suggested by Latin maxillaris.
Words that rhyme with maxillaryancillary, artillery, capillary, codicillary, distillery, fibrillary, fritillary, Hilary, pillory
Definition of maxillary in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.