- (In crustaceans) an appendage modified for feeding, situated in pairs behind the maxillae.More example sentences
- From left to right appendages are: antennule, antenna, mandible, first and second maxillae, first through fifth maxillipeds, 3 walking legs, 5 pleopods with pinkish gills, and uropod.
- The anterior one to three thoracic appendages are modified into maxillipeds, which are used in feeding.
- Only a few parts of the carapace produce the polarization, mainly the antennal scales, maxillipeds, and uropod scales.
mid 19th century: from maxilla + Latin pes, ped- 'foot'.
More definitions of maxillipedDefinition of maxilliped in:
- The British & World English dictionary