(also May apple)
Definition of mayapple in English:
An American herbaceous plant of the barberry family with large, deeply divided leaves. The plant, which bears a yellow, egg-shaped edible fruit in May, has long been used medicinally. Also called mandrake.
- Podophyllum peltatum, family Berberidaceae
- If the method is adopted, increased demand for the American mayapple may make it a new alternative crop.
- They might remind you of mayapple or of pachysandra.
- I have christened it the ‘Mandrake’ (the name used for the mayapple [Podophyllum peltatum] by various 16 th- and 17 th-century English poets).
Definition of mayapple in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan