Definition of mealie in English:
noun(usually mealies) chiefly South African
1.1Corn kernels: [as modifier]: mealie pudding
More example sentences
- One of my earliest memories is of sitting at our kitchen table, talking to Gladys, my Zulu nanny, while a pot of mielie pap porridge bubbled on the stove.
- Its meander begins at the railway siding and extends down the bleak R545 road to Bethal, passing between open-cast coal pits and dried-up mealie fields.
1.2An ear of corn.
- The farmer was selling mielies on his farm near the Blinkfontein road when four men in a black VW Golf with tinted windows robbed him of his cellphone and cash, then shot him.
- Some sell mielies roasted in coal umbhawulas to locals, while others play soccer to pass the time.
Definition of mealie in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan