- 1The flesh of an animal (especially a mammal) as food: pieces of meat assorted meats place meat and poultry in the refrigerator immediately [as modifier]: meat sandwichesMore example sentences
- The principal meats were pork, beef, mutton, and sometimes freshwater fish taken from the river.
- The highly processed food and low-quality meats affect the health, both physical and mental, of everyone here.
- He could smell the meats and the foods cooking on the hot plates above him, and he felt his stomach growl.
- 1.1The flesh of a person’s body: this’ll put meat on your bones!More example sentences
- His body had practically no meat on his bones, but he walked with enough spring in his step for a youth.
- Maeve was thankful though that he had some meat on his body even though it was little and he always looked deathly sick.
- Where once his frame seemed to safeguard her, she now felt that she had more meat on her body than he did.
- 1.2North American The edible part of fruits or nuts.More example sentences
- Her face was screwed up in a comical expression of extreme disgust that soon changed to a sheepish grin as she saw that the fruit's meat lay exposed just under the rind.
- Greedily he bit into the flesh of the fruit, the meat bursting into liquid.
- 1.3 (the meat of) The essence or chief part of something: he did the meat of the climb on the first dayMore example sentences
- Disc Two is where the meat of the supplements is featured.
- They are dialogue-heavy, but they are laying the groundwork for the real meat of the film.
be meat and drink to British
- 2Be a routine matter or task for: he should be meat and drink to the English defenseMore example sentences
- That would be meat and drink to a side of Drighlington's standing.
- This task you have set is meat and drink to me, Silver, let me be.
- Conclusions like this will be meat and drink to undergraduates.
meat and potatoes
- North American Ordinary but fundamental things; basic ingredients: the club’s meat and potatoes remains blues performersMore example sentences
- Of course the real meat and potatoes here is the gameplay.
- So now, we get down to the meat and potatoes of his problem.
- Of course, the meat and potatoes of the game are its many quests and the often-connected spells that Harry acquires as a result.
one man's meat is another man's poison
- • proverb Things liked or enjoyed by one person may be distasteful to another.More example sentences
- These very different concepts require very different musical interpretations, and one man's meat is another man's poison.
- It is not so much that one man's meat is another man's poison as it is that one man's poison is another man's poison.
- It cuts both ways and one man's meat is another man's poison.
- More example sentences
- Going meatless a few times a week - or even once a week - can be beneficial.
- Dogs can enjoy a meatless diet because they can synthesize some necessary nutrients that cats need to get from their food.
- But if you want to be more daring, a whole world of meatless cuisine is out there.
Old English mete 'food' or 'article of food' (as in sweetmeat), of Germanic origin.