A sense organ or cell that responds to mechanical stimuli such as touch or sound.
More example sentences
- Pacinian corpuscles, or pressure receptors, are the largest peripheral mechanoreceptors in mammals.
- Prey appear to be detected primarily by mechanoreceptors.
- The threshold loading test stimulates mechanoreceptors in respiratory muscles.
- More example sentences
- The lateral line system of fishes and many amphibians comprises lines of mechanoreceptive neuromasts distributed over the head and trunk.
- Each sphere is connected by nerves to a highly-sensitive mechanoreceptive sensory cell.
- This suggests that the responsible nerve endings are mechanoreceptive.
Definition of mechanoreceptor in:
- The British & World English dictionary