Definition of Mecoptera in English:
An order of insects that comprises the scorpionflies.
- On the other hand, there was diverse evolution within the surviving orders, the Neuroptera, Mecoptera, and Diptera, and Coleoptera being notable examples.
- We have isolated and characterized the first LW opsin genes from two orders: Mecoptera and Siphonaptera.
- Additional specimens of Mecoptera are housed in the collections of the Maine State Forest Service, Insect and Disease Laboratory in Augusta; however, these specimens have not been identified.
- Example sentences
- Panorpidae (true scorpionflies) is the most speciose family of mecopterans.
- The hymenopteran and mecopteran arolium may be patterned in lines.
- There are about 550 species of mecopterans worldwide, with 81 species in the United States and Canada.
Pronunciation: /-tərən/noun& adjective
Modern Latin (plural), from Greek mēkos 'length' + pteron 'wing'.
Definition of Mecoptera in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.