Definition of medallion in English:
1A piece of jewelry in the shape of a medal, typically worn as a pendant.
- There was a medallion with the shape of dragon wings around her neck.
- Absently, he felt the chain necklace and the medallion against his chest grow colder than ice.
- Some are laden with gold medallions or sport diamond earrings.
1.1An oval or circular painting, panel, or design used to decorate a building or textile.
- This spatial richness was supported by the increasing complexity of the decorative scheme, with the frieze above the first floor decorated with medallions beneath an attic storey supported on caryatids.
- Most obviously, its four ends now carry panels or medallions large enough to frame their own independent images.
- The basic design consists of four medallions grouped around a central motif.
1.2 another term for médaillon.
- I had chosen a steak plus a pork medallion and the meat arrived exactly as ordered.
- Dishes range from snacks to full meals such as fillet of beef medallions on rosti potato with rosemary sauce.
- I had the Turkey Tenderloins, turkey medallions wrapped in bacon and grilled.
Definition of medallion in:
- British & World English dictionary