1Situated in the middle, in particular.
- Not until after midnight, in an eerie twilight, do we sideslip around a medial moraine and discover two gigantic black holes in the silver glacier.
- A medial moraine is a strip of morainal debris in the middle of glacier ice which marks where two glaciers come together.
1.1 Anatomy & Zoology Situated near the median plane of the body or the midline of an organ. The opposite of lateral.
- The deep branch innervates the quadriceps muscle, knee joint, and medial ligament.
- With immobilization, the tight medial and posterior tarsal ligaments tend to yield.
- These fibers are named the medial and lateral patellar ligaments.
1.2 Phonetics (Of a speech sound) in the middle of a word.
- Epenthesis also occurs after medial m in some words: for example, Latin camera and numerus became French chambre and nombre, English chamber and number.
- A total of 15 items were included on this task requiring students to delete initial, medial, and final phonemes from words.
- Children were asked to remove phonemes from the beginning or medial portions of one-, two-, and three-syllable words.
- Example sentences
- It passes anteriorly and medially through the upper part of the extensor digitorum longus muscle to the interval between that muscle and the tibialis anterior.
- The anterior nuclear group is situated more medially.
- On physical examination, a prominence may be appreciated medially and laterally to the Achilles tendon insertion.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.