A person who attempts to make people involved in a conflict come to an agreement; a go-between: the government appointed a mediator to assist in finding a resolution to the dispute
More example sentences
- Judges who leave the bench in any state can go into practice as private mediators or arbitrators.
- He'd used a mediator to negotiate over a period of several weeks to try and get better terms.
- If this is not successful, an independent mediator is chosen to negotiate a settlement.
- Example sentences
- In recent years a range of excellent mediatory and conciliatory services have been introduced in Scotland.
- For Albert it offered an opportunity to display his mediatory and diplomatic skills that would otherwise have remained untouched.
- She then turns to the operation of external patronage in local affairs, and then to its mediatory effect on the interests of all parties.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.