Definition of medicinal leech in English:
A large European leech, introduced to North America, used in medicine for bloodletting. After biting, it secretes an anticoagulant to ensure the flow of blood.
- Hirudo medicinalis, family Hirudidae
- In the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, Europeans considered leeches a panacea, and used billions of European medicinal leeches for everything from obesity to headaches.
- There are many similar records of incredible numbers of medicinal leeches being used across Europe.
- The medicinal leech almost became extinct in Europe due to the extremely high demand for them.
Definition of medicinal leech in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan