- 1.1 (also meerschaum pipe) A tobacco pipe with the bowl made from this.More example sentences
- Like Dupin, Dr. Bender smokes a meerschaum pipe, filled with cheap tobacco.
- The biggest surprise was Everett's Holmes: a compelling, brilliant, darkly original character, much closer to the original stories than to the deerstalkers and meerschaums and Basil Rathbone.
- You see him nursing a meerschaum pipe.
late 18th century: from German, literally 'sea-foam', from Meer 'sea' + Schaum 'foam', translation of Persian kef-i-daryā (alluding to the frothy appearance of the silicate).
More definitions of meerschaumDefinition of meerschaum in:
- The British & World English dictionary