1An assembly of people, especially the members of a society or committee, for discussion or entertainment: the early-dismissal policy will be discussed at our next meeting
More example sentences
- They also became focal points for group discussion and formal meetings.
- Union officials have written to executives seeking an urgent meeting to discuss the matter.
- The purpose of the meeting was to discuss the merits of the former ambassador traveling to Niger.
gathering, assembly, conference, congregation, convention, summit, forum, convocation, conclave, council, rally, caucus;
power lunch, power breakfast
1.1A gathering of people, especially Quakers, for worship.
- I've been a member of several Lutheran churches and have sat through many congregational meetings.
- Most meetings for worship in those days were nothing but processions or groups of singers.
- He believed there would be a big impact on parking, already under pressure during the school run and from meetings in the local Quaker Meeting House.
2A coming together of two or more people, by chance or arrangement: he intrigued her on their first meeting
More example sentences
- Without conscious direction there are only chance meetings that create situations between separated beings.
- Diverse characters happen together either by chance or in arranged meetings.
- While there, I've met people I already knew by chance and had chance meetings with new people.
a meeting of (the) minds
- An understanding or agreement between people.Example sentences
convergence, coming together, confluence, conjunction, union, junction, abutment;intersection, T-junction, crossing
- It took a meeting of minds - involving organisations such as Scottish Enterprise, Historic Scotland, the local tourist board and the local authority - to kick-start a renaissance based on quality.
- I'm simply laying the foundation and doing the groundwork to see if there is a meeting of minds.
- ‘It was not,’ says one witness to this extraordinary event, ‘what you might call a meeting of minds.’
Words that rhyme with meetingbeating, fleeting, greeting, Keating, self-defeating, sweeting
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.