Definition of melanism in English:
Unusual darkening of body tissues caused by excessive production of melanin, especially as a form of color variation in animals.
- Adaptations to short, cool summers include activity at low temperatures, selection of warm habitats and microhabitats, melanism and hairiness coupled with basking behaviour, and prolonged or abbreviated life cycles.
- However, melanism and amelanism are known to occur in many species of natricine snakes.
- That pattern of morphological convergence includes larger bills, reduced rust coloration in plumage, and increased melanism or dark coloration.
- Example sentences
- There may still be very good mechanistic reasons why melanic plumage color reveals individual quality in European barn swallows, but they should have nothing to do with carotenoid signaling.
- We suggest that, in addition to its other functions, an important selective advantage of melanic plumage is its resistance to degradation by bacteria that are part of every bird's environment.
- The majority of studies on melanin ornaments cited in Table 1 measured only the size of discrete patches of melanic feathers.
- Example sentences
- Additionally, 15 males and 16 females had particular plumage features that allowed individual identification (double black bar on wing, melanistic or dark plumage, advanced moult, broken feathers, first-year birds).
- Two-thirds of the sightings involved large black animals resembling melanistic leopards, also known as panthers.
- Such is the case with melanistic (black pigmentation) variation in some anenomefish species.
Definition of melanism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan