- A hormone secreted by the pineal gland that inhibits melanin formation and is thought to be concerned with regulating the reproductive cycle.More example sentences
- The pineal gland hormone, melatonin, is one of the endproducts regulated by the circadian system.
- Delaying sleep on weekends delays the nightly secretion of melatonin, the sleep hormone.
- Research has found the pineal hormone melatonin is low in migraine patients.
1950s: from Greek melas 'black' + (sero)tonin.
More definitions of melatoninDefinition of melatonin in:
- The British & World English dictionary