- 1Dark sticky feces containing partly digested blood.More example sentences
- In colon cancer, melena or maroon-colored stools tend to be a symptom of tumors in the ascending or transverse colon.
- A fecal occult blood test can be administered to rule out false melena.
- There was no history of fever, diarrhea, constipation, melena, hematochezia or urinary symptoms.
- 1.1The production of melena, following internal bleeding or the swallowing of blood.More example sentences
- It is normal to lose 0.5 to 1.5 ml of blood daily in the gastrointestinal tract, and melena usually is identified when more than 150 ml of blood are lost in the upper gastrointestinal tract.
- Unless colon cancer has metastasized to the liver, symptoms tend to be one or more of the following: hematochezia, melena, anemia resulting from occult blood loss and change in bowel habits.
- At external examination, blood smears on the body surface resulting from hematemesis or melena were present in 40 cases.
early 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek melaina, feminine of melas 'black'.
More definitions of melenaDefinition of melena in:
- The British & World English dictionary