Definition of melena in English:
1Dark sticky feces containing partly digested blood.
- In colon cancer, melena or maroon-colored stools tend to be a symptom of tumors in the ascending or transverse colon.
- A fecal occult blood test can be administered to rule out false melena.
- There was no history of fever, diarrhea, constipation, melena, hematochezia or urinary symptoms.
1.1The production of melena, following internal bleeding or the swallowing of blood.
- It is normal to lose 0.5 to 1.5 ml of blood daily in the gastrointestinal tract, and melena usually is identified when more than 150 ml of blood are lost in the upper gastrointestinal tract.
- Unless colon cancer has metastasized to the liver, symptoms tend to be one or more of the following: hematochezia, melena, anemia resulting from occult blood loss and change in bowel habits.
- At external examination, blood smears on the body surface resulting from hematemesis or melena were present in 40 cases.
Early 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek melaina, feminine of melas 'black'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.