A fragrant herbaceous plant of the pea family, native to Eurasia and north Africa, now widespread and sometimes grown as forage or green manure. Also called sweet clover.
- Genus Melilotus, family Leguminosae: several species, especially the white sweet clover (M. alba)
More example sentences
- The Chinese use yellow melilot medicinally, use it in cosmetics, and burn it as an incense.
- There are 25 species of clovers and trefoils (Trifolium spp.), eight species of medic and alfalfa (Medicago spp.), and three species of melilots.
- Other fodder plants introduced from Europe include the yellow or white melilots,, which may be seen in mid to late summer on the Sawston by-pass, and a larger form of Bird's foot Trefoil (Lotus corniculatus ssp.var. sativa) which often grows nearly a metre high on the South Down.
Definition of melilot in:
- The British & World English dictionary