1A day on which those who died in active military service are remembered, traditionally observed on May 30 but now officially observed on the last Monday in May. Also called (especially formerly) Decoration Day.
- Today, he was remembered during a Memorial Day gathering of family and friends in Texas.
- Over Memorial Day weekend we gathered for our first and, I suspect, only reunion.
- From the first Memorial Day in 1868, the day set aside to honour our war dead has become a national holiday.
1.1 (also Confederate Memorial Day) (In the southern states) any of various days (especially the fourth Monday in April) on which similar remembrances are observed.
- Nonetheless, in the North, the Memorial Day observance took place on 30 May whereas most Southerners (except for African Americans) commemorated Confederate Memorial Day on varying dates in the spring.
- Today is Confederate Decoration Day, or Confederate Memorial Day in North Carolina.
- Jefferson Davis’ birthday is remembered on June 3 and also observed as Confederate Memorial Day in Kentucky and Louisiana.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: Me·mo·ri·al Day
Definition of Memorial Day in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.