Not telling the truth; lying: mendacious propaganda
More example sentences
- It is an outright lie, a fabrication by a mendacious and unscrupulous writer.
- He wanted me to know the sort of country I was living in and what was going on around me, in defiance of the chronically mendacious official propaganda.
- Overall, Wittenberg portrays him as a petty, hypocritical, mendacious man whose primary focus was self-promotion.
lying, untruthful, dishonest, deceitful, false, dissembling, insincere, disingenuous, hypocritical, fraudulent, double-dealing, two-faced, Janus-faced, two-timing, duplicitous, perjured;
untrue, fictitious, falsified, fabricated, fallacious, invented, made up
vulgar slang full of crap
- Example sentences
- Everything will be done,’ he told a colleague from the newspaper mendaciously.
- Obviously this is mendaciously disingenuous coming from the erstwhile Prince of Darkness who has torpedoed many a career with anonymous briefings to journalists.
- You cannot let them, as the old legal adage has it, mendaciously cry ‘fire’ in a crowded theatre.
- Example sentences
- From the beginning of the fourteenth century, Dominican theologians in Italy had attacked poetry for its mendaciousness and corrupting influence, while early humanists had viewed it as a divine science and form of theology.
Early 17th century: from Latin mendax, mendac- 'lying' (related to mendum 'fault') + -ious.
Words that rhyme with mendaciousAthanasius, audacious, bodacious, cactaceous, capacious, carbonaceous, contumacious, Cretaceous, curvaceous, disputatious, edacious, efficacious, fallacious, farinaceous, flirtatious, foliaceous, fugacious, gracious, hellacious, herbaceous, Ignatius, loquacious, mordacious, ostentatious, perspicacious, pertinacious, pugnacious, rapacious, sagacious, salacious, saponaceous, sebaceous, sequacious, setaceous, spacious, tenacious, veracious, vexatious, vivacious, voracious
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.