Definition of meningococcus in English:
noun (plural meningococci-ˈkäksī-ˈkäksē)
A bacterium involved in some forms of meningitis and cerebrospinal infection.
- The illness is caused by bacteria, called meningococci, which invade the linings of the brain, causing severe inflammation that can be fatal.
- Neisseria meningitidis, the meningococcus, is a globally distributed cause of bacterial meningitis and septicemia.
- Overcrowding provides ideal conditions for transmission of meningococci.
- Example sentences
- The three cases are all believed to be bacterial, caused by the meningococcal bacteria, but the strains involved have not been confirmed.
- The new vaccine does not protect against meningococcal disease caused by serogroup B bacteria.
- The most common forms of the bug were now strain C of the bacterial meningococcal meningitis and its blood poisoning relative, septicaemia.
Definition of meningococcus in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan