A crystalline compound with a cooling minty taste and odor, found in peppermint and other natural oils. It is used as a flavoring and in decongestants and analgesics.
- An alcohol, 2-isopropyl-5-methylcyclohexanol; chemical formula: C10H19OH
More example sentences
- The combination of thymol, eucalyptol, methyl salicylate and menthol in an alcohol base may have antifungal activity.
- If you lip balm contains phenol, camphor, menthol, peppermint oil or eucalyptus, it's most likely making your lips more chapped than not.
- Any products that contain alcohol or menthol should be avoided because they remove natural lipids and may worsen the skin's reaction.
late 19th century: from German, from Latin mentha 'mint' + -ol.
Definition of menthol in:
- The British & World English dictionary