- The wetlands dense foliage has the ability to handle heavy metals, like mercury, zinc, nickel and copper.
- For example, tobacco plants can absorb heavy metals, mercury, copper, and lead.
- Combined with silver, mercury, copper and antimony, however, gold is to be found finely distributed.
- A type of blood pressure monitor that uses a column of mercury to measure cuff pressure.
- This is because the traditional blood pressure monitor - known as a sphygmomanometer - uses a column of mercury to measure pressure.
- Heat merges with the steady beat of the waves, sending testosterone and adrenaline levels rising like mercury in a thermometer.
- Shakespeare was probably being treated with mercury for syphilis, it seems.
- In the late 15th century, the famous alchemist Paracelsus began to prescribe mercury to treat syphilis.
- Many people know about the former use of mercury in treating syphilis, for the substance had some benefit and the remedy endured for centuries.
Middle English: from Latin Mercurius ( see Mercury (sense 1)).
mid 16th century: from Latin mercurialis 'of the god Mercury'.
- His mother, Doreen, has spoken out in the local Mercury newspaper about the spate of attacks.
- A Wollongong specialist told the Mercury he had been told of two false positive readings.
- Did his will request The Mercury's editor try to force him out early?
Mercury orbits within the orbit of Venus at an average distance of 36 million miles (57.9 million km) from the sun. With a diameter of 3,031 miles (4,878 km), it is only a third larger than earth’s moon, which it resembles in having a heavily cratered surface. Its ‘day’ (equivalent to 58.65 Earth days) is precisely two thirds the length of its ‘year’ (87.97 Earth days). Daytime temperatures average 338°F (170°C). There is no atmosphere and the planet has no satellites
- More example sentences
- But this is a particularly auspicious week to re-introduce some lightweight, playful, frivolous fun and frolics into the Mercurian milieu.
- If the universe hasn't lavished you with extravagance lately, use this week's Mercurian energy to add some major extensions to your wish list.
- The youngster's Mercurian friends have singled him out: even in dismal Dublin he is unique.