Definition of meretricious in English:
1Apparently attractive but having in reality no value or integrity: meretricious souvenirs for the tourist trade
More example sentences
- There's something cheap about this sort of fake wisdom, something tawdry, meretricious, something… what's the word I'm looking for?
- In stark contrast to the Dome, which symbolises all that is trashy and meretricious in contemporary Britain, the Great Exhibition was the wonder of its age, a living expression of the country's growing majesty.
- This movie is quite a box of tricks, and director Alan Parker has turned the handle at the side and cranked out two hours' worth of flashy, meretricious and deeply silly nonsense.
- Example sentences
- And how can our heroine, now so chaste and docile, have only two hours ago been writhing meretriciously across the screen in song?
- They were very cheap of course and attractively presented - they looked neither meretriciously glossy nor ponderously dull.
- It meretriciously urges all parties to exercise restraint, as it, itself, exercises restraint in the field of morality.
- Example sentences
- Slim people can put on weight again, but meretriciousness cannot be rooted out.
- In the take-over of Labour by meretriciousness, its nonconformist traditions, rooted in the world of work, in mutual aid and self-improvement have largely gone.
- For this, surely, is an age of celebrity, of style over substance, meretriciousness over content, mediocrity over intellectualism.
Words that rhyme with meretriciousadventitious, Aloysius, ambitious, auspicious, avaricious, capricious, conspicuous, delicious, expeditious, factitious, fictitious, flagitious, judicious, lubricious, malicious, Mauritius, nutritious, officious, pernicious, propitious, repetitious, seditious, siliceous, superstitious, suppositious, surreptitious, suspicious, vicious
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia