- A small dark falcon that hunts small birds, found throughout most of Eurasia and much of North America. Also called pigeon hawk.
More example sentences
- Falco columbarius, family Falconidae
- As well as grouse watching, Dan and his colleagues also give informal tours around the reserve for young ornithologists keen to spot merlins, buzzards and ospreys.
- They include pine marten, wildcat, stoat and weasel as well as golden eagles, merlin, peregrine falcon, golden plover and in time black grouse and capercaillie.
- Fall, of course, is the best time to see migrants: peregrine falcons, merlins, and flocks of tree swallows at Assateague; northern gannets just offshore; and plenty of Canadian and snow geese soaring above.
late Middle English: from Anglo-Norman French merilun, from Old French esmerillon, augmentative of esmeril, of Germanic origin; related to German Schmerl.
More definitions of MerlinDefinition of merlin in:
- The British & World English dictionary