Definition of mesencephalon in English:
Another term for midbrain.
- The latter includes the diencephalon; mesencephalon, or midbrain; pons; and medulla oblongata.
- The neural tube is broad and divides flaccidly into three parts: an anterior prosencephalon, a middle mesencephalon, and a posterior rhombencephalon.
- Continuing in the vocabulary vein, the ‘neuraxis’ is ‘the axial unpaired part of the central nervous system, composed of the spinal cord, rhombencephalon, mesencephalon, and diencephalon.’
- Example sentences
- Two non-sensory control regions were examined, the optic tectum and the mesencephalic tegmentum.
- The root fibers arising from the trochlear nuclei form a decussation dorsal to the mesencephalic aqueduct, and they are the only cranial nerves that cross completely and that leave the dorsal aspect of the brain stem.
- The principal mesencephalic projection to the striatum originates from the substantia nigra pars compacta.
Definition of mesencephalon in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan