- (Of fish and other organisms) inhabiting the intermediate depths of the sea, approximately 650-3,300 feet (200-1,000 m) below the surface.More example sentences
- Most mesopelagic species are either red or black and most deep-sea benthic species range from pale yellow to red.
- Tooth morphology in this selection of mesopelagic fishes is quite diverse suggesting that their feeding strategies might be diverse as well.
- Our results indicate that mesopelagic fish pose a stronger predatory threat than invertebrates to overwintering Calanus.
More definitions of mesopelagicDefinition of mesopelagic in:
- The British & World English dictionary