Definition of mesophyte in English:
A plant needing only a moderate amount of water.
- According to these considerations, the factor of light appears as the first of many different environmental factors for the ecological plant sociology of mesophytes.
- A higher mesophyll resistance in woody plants than in herbs, and in sclerophylls than in mesophytes, has been reported.
- Consequently, cuticles of plant species adapted to dry conditions have, by one to two orders of magnitude, lower permeances for water than cuticles of mesophytes from more humid climates.
- Example sentences
- Exodermis with Casparian bands was found in roots of hydrophytic, mesophytic and xerophytic species and in members of primitive as well as advanced families.
- In epiphytes known values of are high even compared to mesophytic terrestrial plants.
- It is a shade tolerant, late successional, mesophytic tree species associated with at least 20 forest cover types in North America.
Pronunciation: /ˌmezəˈfitik/ /ˌmē-/adjective
Definition of mesophyte in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.