Definition of mesophyte in English:
A plant needing only a moderate amount of water.
- According to these considerations, the factor of light appears as the first of many different environmental factors for the ecological plant sociology of mesophytes.
- A higher mesophyll resistance in woody plants than in herbs, and in sclerophylls than in mesophytes, has been reported.
- Consequently, cuticles of plant species adapted to dry conditions have, by one to two orders of magnitude, lower permeances for water than cuticles of mesophytes from more humid climates.
- Example sentences
- Exodermis with Casparian bands was found in roots of hydrophytic, mesophytic and xerophytic species and in members of primitive as well as advanced families.
- In epiphytes known values of are high even compared to mesophytic terrestrial plants.
- It is a shade tolerant, late successional, mesophytic tree species associated with at least 20 forest cover types in North America.
Pronunciation: /ˌmezəˈfitik, ˌmē-/adjective
Definition of mesophyte in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan