Definition of mesosaur in English:
An extinct small aquatic reptile of the early Permian period, with an elongated body, flattened tail, and a long narrow snout with numerous needlelike teeth.
- Genus Mesosaurus, order Mesosauria, subclass Anapsida
- The most basal anapsids, the mesosaurs, are oldest known fully aquatic reptiles.
- At the same time as the mesosaurs were flourishing in this newly formed inland sea, a major period of mountain building began in the south, due to the Andean-style collision of the Palaeo-Pacific plate under the African plate.
- Only mesosaurs and araeoscelidians demonstrate more lightly built limbs than protorothyridids.
- Example sentences
- If the shales at Kimberley are Lower Karroo rocks, then, from the occurrence of Mesosaurus on that horizon, those rocks may be termed Mesosaurian.
- The study here developed on the metric relationships of mesosaurian teeth proved to be useful for the identification of isolated pieces.
Definition of mesosaur in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan