Definition of mesothorax in English:
noun (plural mesothoraxes or mesothoraces-ˈTHôrəˌsēz)Entomology
The middle segment of the thorax of an insect, bearing the forewings or elytra.
- For this purpose a paper flag, made from a small piece of white cardboard is glued to the dorsum of the mesothorax in about vertical direction.
- We compared the extent of pruinescence on the head, pterothorax (fused mesothorax and metathorax), and abdominal segments 1 to 10 between males of the two species.
- Tufted is a classical Drosophila mutant characterized by a large number of ectopic mechanosensory bristles on the dorsal mesothorax.
- Example sentences
- Females then actively collect pollen from the newly mature anthers and pack it into special structures on their mesothoracic sternites, while the wingless males tunnel back through the fig wall.
- I removed both of the mesothoracic wings from the bodies of the females that had given or received significantly high rates of biting.
- The postmating harm treatments used were ablation of a mesothoracic leg, ablation of an antenna, ablation of a wing, puncture of the abdomen, and puncture of the thorax.
Definition of mesothorax in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan