nounComputing & Telecommunications
- A mode of data transmission in which a message is sent as a complete unit and routed via a number of intermediate nodes at which it is stored and then forwarded.More example sentences
- Several new dimensions are introduced by message switching, including routing, protocols, and flow control.
- The concept of message switching is quite old, at least going back to the ‘torn tape’ days of the 1930-1950 era.
- This part of the Application Programming documentation covers functions relating to message switching and printout spooling functions.
More definitions of message switchingDefinition of message switching in:
- The British & World English dictionary