Definition of messenger in English:
1A person who carries a message or is employed to carry messages.
- Agni was the next and was important in the sacrifices and was considered as a messenger, carrying the messages to the heavens, as the flames of the sacrificial fires ascended upwards.
- In Ancient Egypt, the Pharaoh's messengers and diplomatic envoys carried with them the seal of the Pharaoh, production of which guaranteed the carrier free and unhindered passage throughout the region.
- But the really amazing thing is that so many others in the free world not only do not agree but loathe and detest this message and its messengers.
1.1 Biochemistry A substance that conveys information or a stimulus within the body.
- As the body's chemical messengers, hormones transfer information and instructions from one set of cells to another.
- It translates genetic information from messenger ribonucleic acid and makes protein accordingly.
- ‘Some plasticizers can mimic the effects of certain hormones - they're chemical messengers in the body,’ she says.
verb[with object] chiefly US Back to top
Send (a document or package) by messenger: could you have it messengered over to me?
More example sentences
- Knowing I was ill she messengered me over some echinacea and zinc and ginger tea.
- But I think, as circumstance would have it, she was anticipating, I think, a script to be messengered, and there was a buzz at her door.
- Arnaz phones the night club, has Stack paged and asks him to go home and read some scripts that are being messengered to his doorstep.
shoot (or kill) the messenger
- Treat the bearer of bad news as if they were to blame for it.Example sentences
- There is no time to be wasted by shooting the messenger of bad news.
- The British public can't allow the Labour Party to shoot the messenger of such important news.
- Calling them names for doing so is like shooting the messenger who brings bad news.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan