- The chemical processes that occur within a living organism in order to maintain life.
Two kinds of metabolism are often distinguished: constructive metabolism, the synthesis of the proteins, carbohydrates, and fats that form tissue and store energy, and destructive metabolism, the breakdown of complex substances and the consequent production of energy and waste matterMore example sentences
- Altered carbohydrate, fat, and protein metabolism leads to a catabolic state.
- It is also known that peroxisomal metabolism is lower in fish than in mammals.
- In addition to carbohydrate metabolism, other processes were affected by stress.
late 19th century: from Greek metabolē 'change' (from metaballein 'to change') + -ism.
More definitions of metabolismDefinition of metabolism in:
- The British & World English dictionary