1Any of the five bones of the hand.
- There are eight carpal bones in the wrist, five metacarpals, and 14 nonsesamoid bones that comprise the phalanges.
- The needle enters just proximal to the first metacarpal on the extensor surface.
- Radiographs showed no fracture of the wrist, metacarpals or other bones.
1.1Any of the bones in an animal’s forelimb equivalent to the metacarpals.
- This specimen consists of a nearly complete tail, the right forelimb complete through the metacarpals, both sternal plates, and both ischia.
- ‘His eye was caught by a particular bone - a metacarpal, the equivalent to one of the long bones in the palm of the hand,’ said John Smith, the curator of geology at the Museum of Science.
- Previously, Tate had referred Coelops species to the subfamily Coelopinae on the basis of characters of the tail, pinna, noseleaf, metacarpals, and four craniodental features.
Relating to the metacarpals.
- At the wrist, branches of the radial artery include the dorsal carpal and first dorsal metacarpal arteries.
- A small separate slip may extend from the pisiform bone to a metacarpal bone, forming the pisimetacarpeus muscle.
- The tendons may be attached to the second and third metacarpal bones.
Definition of metacarpal in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.