noun (plural metacarpi /-pē, -ˌpī/)
- The group of five bones of the hand between the wrist (carpus) and the fingers.More example sentences
- It may appear in two forms: slips arising from the back of the wrist, and slips arising from the carpus or metacarpus may be connected to the tendons of interosseous muscles as well as to the tendons of the extensor.
- He reported the following variations of extensor ossis metacarpi pollicis (abductor pollicis longus).
- The major anomalies were an increased frequency of cryptochordism; a decrease/delay in ossification centers of the hyoid, metacarpus, and metatarsal bones; delay in eruption of incisors; and a decrease in body weight.
late Middle English: modern Latin, alteration of Greek metakarpion.
More definitions of metacarpusDefinition of metacarpus in:
- The British & World English dictionary