The point of intersection between a vertical line through the center of buoyancy of a floating body such as a ship and a vertical line through the new center of buoyancy when the body is tilted, which must be above the center of gravity to ensure stability.
- And, if the metacenter should fall below the ship's center of gravity, it'll capsize.
- If the metacenter is below the center of gravity, the boat is unstable and capsizes.
- When a submarine submerges, however, the water plane disappears and the metacenter comes down to the center of buoyancy.
- Example sentences
- The X, Y, and autosomes are indicated as rod-shaped acrocentric, J-shaped submetacentric, and metacentric chromosomes, respectively.
- Chromosome 5 has metacentric signals whereas chromosome 2 has submetacentric signals.
- If the centromere is in the middle, the chromosome is metacentric and the chromosome arms are equal in size.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of metacenter in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.