Definition of metalinguistics in English:
plural noun[treated as singular]
The branch of linguistics that deals with metalanguages, self-reference in language, and the philosophy of science as it applies to linguistics.
- Morphological awareness, as part of metalinguistics, involves reflection on language and its use and skills of monitoring and planning.
- There is no introductory editorial discussing the title or theme of the volume or its intended audience, but the essays mostly deal with language and metalinguistics in some way.
- Results indicate a positive attitude to but poor knowledge of metalinguistics in the process of learning to read.
- Example sentences
- Use, rather than metalinguistic acknowledgement, rationalizes these aspects of language, and a sense of aesthetic accomplishment arises through employing them.
- Smith utilizes a metalinguistic analysis to reinsert the long-neglected importance of the subject into the practice of writing art criticism.
- They attribute this poor performance to the influence of reading experience and less well-developed metalinguistic abilities.
Definition of metalinguistics in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan