- 1Of or relating to metaphysics: the essentially metaphysical question of the nature of the mindMore example sentences
- It begins to appear that the metaphysical question of determinism is quite irrelevant to the rationality of our ascription of responsibility.
- As that great deflator of metaphysical questions, philosopher Ludwig Wittgenstein, taught us, the meaning of a term is fixed by the community that uses it.
- However, the very strength of such an epistemological claim makes it difficult to assume with begging the metaphysical result in question.
- 1.1Based on abstract (typically, excessively abstract) reasoning: an empiricist rather than a metaphysical view of lawMore example sentences
- I think that the two types of cosmology, that is religious cosmology based on a metaphysical vision or view of the universe and modern cosmology, should not be confused.
- It could be argued that the inverted spectrum hypothesis is incoherent for deep metaphysical and empirical reasons.
- His enduring little classic, The Problems of Philosophy, sketches the metaphysical and epistemological views he then held.
- 1.2Transcending physical matter or the laws of nature: Good and Evil are inextricably linked in a metaphysical battle across space and timeMore example sentences
- I think most New Zealanders would agree that it is appropriate to consider spiritual and metaphysical matters as part of a consent process.
- Now it is the confused management of metaphysical and spiritual matters.
- Here, in language, & still more in logic, we are point blank at issue - There is a moral or metaphysical part of nature as well as a physical.
- 2Of or characteristic of the metaphysical poets.More example sentences
- On one level there is the English metaphysical tradition perhaps best exemplified by John Donne.
- John Donne, metaphysical poetry, ovarian cancer and chemotherapy might not normally suggest an entertaining night at the theatre.
noun(the Metaphysicals) Back to top
- The metaphysical poets.More example sentences
- Or Eliot, who wrote on the Metaphysicals, Marvell, Dryden, Blake, Wordsworth, Baudelaire and, of course, Dante, as well as many other writers.
- And in the beginning of reading poetry, for me it was in the thirties, and I - and everybody was reading Metaphysicals, Donne and so forth.
- The Metaphysicals and the Elizabethans are clearly still read with devotion.
- More example sentences
- It is the metaphysically given that must be accepted: it cannot be changed.
- It would seem that these contemporaries of the fun society paint its dark side and all its ruptures so appealingly that they talk to the metaphysically homeless from the soul.
- I can't say I think one way is metaphysically better than the other.