Abnormal change in the nature of a tissue.
More example sentences
- The remaining 9 cases showed the coexistence of antral-type metaplasia, intestinal metaplasia, and dysplasia in the same specimen.
- The antral mucosa showed pancreatic acinar cell metaplasia and intestinal metaplasia.
- The existence of gastric lymphoma and intestinal metaplasia was observed in the same or different tissue fragments in most endoscopic biopsies.
late 19th century: modern Latin, from German Metaplase, based on Greek metaplassein 'mold into a new form'.
- More example sentences
- The differential diagnosis of breast tumors with abundant cartilaginous and osseous metaplasia includes metaplastic carcinoma.
- Extensive squamous metaplasia was seen within many of the glands, and in several areas there was central necrosis of the metaplastic epithelium.
- The biopsies demonstrated both metaplastic squamous and benign respiratory epithelium with acute inflammation and no evidence of malignancy.
More definitions of metaplasiaDefinition of metaplasia in:
- The British & World English dictionary